Core Canadian Medical Team
The Napoli 2019 30th summer Universiade games was an amazing experience for my first games.
I loved Italy: the amazing Medical team who I am very proud to be part of: Connie, Andrea, Jason, Tina, Karen, Connie, Olesia , Rose, Joe, Jacques (Coco), Darrel and Laurence. It was amazing making new friends, rooming with a former classmate, spending quality time with great professionals and treating athletes.
It all started with a call out of the blue from Chief Therapist Andrea Prieur on Janauary 25th, 2019. She had left me messages on both the home line and my cell phone. I had no idea what the call was about; however when I finally reached her she asked me what I was doing for the summer. At first I was not sure what she was getting at… however when she asked me if would be interested in going to Italy to be part of the core Canadian Medical Team I almost dropped my cell phone. I was over come with so much positive emotion and gratitude that I was almost balling like a baby . The tears still trickle every time I think of this call. Of course I said yes !!!
One picture is worth a million words so here is my experience in pictures and few words
Day Trip to Sorrento and Amalfi Coast
Here are few pictures from the Almalfi Coast:
- Thank you to Gary and Cindy Miller for my over 15 years experience with Bryst International for all the European soccer trips and being responsible for the health of all our players. I felt at home in Italy.
- Do not “Butt /Pocket” dial or “Butt/ Pocket” video call many times your Chief Therapist while she is in a meeting… honestly it was an accident… get to know your phone 😀
- Learn how to use whatsapp!
- Bring a power back for your phone …
- Write to your local MP for Canadian pins. . All countries love exchanging with Canada
- I am truly proud to be Canadian🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
- I am grateful to live in Canada!!!🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
- Learn new skills if possible from other therapists.
- Your skill set compliments others.
- Enjoy each moment!
- You are there to serve the athletes needs and at the same do not burn yourself out.
- Take time before the games to know where you are going in case may be able to visit places – I was fortunate to visit Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast😀
- Be flexible and make the best of your situation!
- Like in life, somethings do not always work out how they are supposed to be, so put on a smiley face and move forward.
- Communication with therapists who came with teams is key if you treating “their” athletes. For example one player came to me with something new that their therapist was unaware of. So I modified my treatment and informed the therapist and they were able to add to my treatment pre -competition. The Team concept of treating and sharing information is vital.
As I have said many times before I am grateful and humbled for the opportunity to serve our Canadian athletes.
The support from the entire Canadian Medical Team and Mission Staff was overwhelming.
I hope I have come back a better person and therapist for this experience. Thank you to the Caserta 5 – love you guys!!!